Securing an Instrument
All students joining band at Wauconda Middle School need the following supplies:
- The instrument chosen on Sign-up night, in good working condition.
- 1 box of #2 Vandoren Reeds (if starting clarinet)
- Maintenance/cleaning kit
- Tradition of Excellence Book 1 for their chosen instrument, published by Kjos.
- A folding music stand for at home practice.
It is suggested that students also own a tuner & metronome. There are several FREE apps on the Apple or Android Stores or students can use a standalone device. Paid apps recommended (but not required) by teachers in D118 are:
- Tonal Energy - tuner, metronome, recorder and tone generator
- Tempo - metronome only
- Pitch - tuner only
- Tunable - tuner only
- ReadRhythm - rhythm reading practice tool
- Theory - self-guided music lessons
- Tenuto - self-guided music quizzes/games/reinforcers
I will be participating in the Rent-to-Own Program:
- Most of our students' families use Quinlan & Fabish Music Company and their Rent-to-Own program to supply an instrument. The repair and replacement program will grant you peace of mind and you can be sure your child will have a quality instrument that will last them through all of middle school, and perhaps high school as well.
- Quinlan and Fabish can be reached at www.qandf.com or 847-253-5592. They can set you up with everything you need for beginning band class.
I want to own my instrument now:
- If you choose to buy an instrument outright, it is important that you purchase an instrument from a trusted source or retailer that specializes in musical instruments. A list of instrument brands that we have found our students to be successful with is available here. It is important to remember that if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- If you have any questions about an instrument purchase, please contact your band director. A quality instrument may last a lifetime, while something that looks like a great deal may not last a month.
- Reputable music stores often have quality used consignment stock. We have also had families find success with Reverb.com and Dillonmusic.com
Click the pop-out button in the upper right of the image to download/print.